RE:Brake Bleeding Devices

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE:Brake Bleeding Devices
From: Zempel David <Zempel_David@spmm.lmms.lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:41:06 -0700
>I know this issue has been discussed but I am still wondering which
>device is better- Mityvac or Easybleed. I am considering buying one or
>the other, but I am unsure which one works best.

I've tried both on my TR4.  I first borrowed an Easybleed from a friend and
proceeded to emty the bottle of fluid into the engine compartment which then
emptied onto the driveway.  I then re-checked all of the fittings, pressurized
the system dry, and then red the instructions.  Found out that dry testing was
step #1.  Anyway, I couldn't get the system to "seal".  My tire pressure was
below the recommended 20 lbs. and the provided resevoir caps wouldn't fit my
brake master cylinder.  So I cleaned everything up and returned the Easybleed
to my friend who swares by it for his MG.
I then purchased a Mityvac, figuring it would be useful for many other things.
 Attached the Mitvac and started trying to suck that brake fluid into the
system.  I've just rebuilt al of the hydraulics so everything was dry except
for the master cylinder which had just been topped off.  Well all I got was
air.  I'm convinced that there is a valve within the restrictor that is
preventing me from actually sucking fluid through.  I've resorted to the old
tried and true pump the brakes and bleed method.  The Mityvac now sits on my
workbench waiting for something meaningful to do.

Dave Zempel,
'63 TR4 SurreyTop
Sunnyvale, CA.