Re:plane no wings; was British Car Sets World Land Speed Record...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:plane no wings; was British Car Sets World Land Speed Record...
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 97 09:15:22 PDT
Kris Cotton wrote:
        > The REAL land speed record is held by Sir Donald Cambell who drove a
        > vehicle, the Bluebird powered by its wheels !
        [snip]
        > Yes I am old enough to remember meeting Cambell after his Triumph on
Lake
        > Eyre in 1964.( even sat in the car)

Yup, I remember this too.  I was an impressionable lad when I saw the
Bluebird on display at the old David Jones store in Sydney.  I collected
everything related to Cambell, and his death at the controls of the
(hydroplane) Bluebird effected me deeply.  I never saw the boat, but the
car, still vivid in my memory, was awesome!  Does anyone know where the
car is today?

        Shane Ingate in San Diego