Rope trick

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rope trick
From: Kristina Turner <turner@public.se>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:15:50 +0200
Doesn't look like the rope trick - brilliant as it is - has worked.

I took my boat out of the water last week and I had about 20' of 0.5"
rope on it. I fetched the rope from the marina (no, I wasn't wearing a
blue blazer and docksiders).

I turned the engine to BDC and stuffed it in cyls. 1 & 4. I didn't have
a long spanner for the main crank bolt, so I screwed back in two
flywheel bolts and tried from that end.

I used a 1 yard-long piece of 1" steel rod to crank it round and leant
on it. No dice. Then got a foot on it and sort of stamped. Still no
dice. Then I got a 3lb club hammer and whacked it.Yet still, no dice.
Then I though about all the bad things that have happened to me today
(2, excluding this, but I'm not going into them) and gave it a real
ding. The shaft of the hammer broke, quite cleanly actually, but not so
much of a smidgen of lift. Then, tying a kamikaze headband over my
sweaty brow, I climbed on my work bench and leapt two-footed on the
f**ker.

Next thing I remember I woke up in an episode of ER. Well actually not.
But I did shear a flywheel bolt.

What does this prove? Well, firstly, that when really annoyed, I can
produce about 160bhp (according to recent 130mph TR4 thread).

Secondly, I think that I'm not going to get the head off. Unless,
scions, you have another idea.

If not, how far can I get with the tear-down without taking the head off
(the engine's going to be rebuilt by a pro). Or should I just hand it in
now?

It might be worthwhile your knowing that I can't seem to shift anymore
studs and that the engine turns over fine.

Thanks once again for all help,

Adam Turner
'74 TR6