Re: Is it a mk2 or mk3?

To: Paul Cormier <compubbs@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: Is it a mk2 or mk3?
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:57:55 +0200
Cc: 1- Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Paul Cormier skrev:
> Hi Odd,
>
> > The FC 70653 (without an L suffix? If so then it should be right
> > hand drive...)
> The "L" was so far right, and rusted, that I never noticed it.  :)

It's quite common for the L to be on the right end of the line... As
if they decided further down the assembly line if it was to become a
left hand drive car...

> > If Your front have got an aluminium plint cluster - then it's
> > from a Mk3 up to FD 7031,
> What do you mean by "plinth"?

It's a smallish aluminium pressing to cover up the round holes for
the earlier type turn and parking lights and at the same time make
a suitable base for the squareish Mk3 type light. Painted in the body
colour to make the Mk2 bonnet resemble the Mk3 bonnet...
A very British solution indeed!!?? (But they are nowdays sought after
by people like me, collecting odd bits of Tríumph history... ;-) )

> > if the light cluster is mounted directly on the bonnet
> > - then it's from a later car.
> The turn lignts are mounted directly on the bonnet. From my Haynes
> manual, the Mk3 lights are on the bonnet, and the later Mk4 are on
> the front valance. So this would be the front end of a Mk3, right?

Yes, definitely.

> Is there a big difference between the bonnet of a Mk3 and Mk2?

Yes, big enough for Your plan to be a big one to do...

> What about the mounting brackets for the bumper...  I'd like to
> bring it back to the original Mk2 look.

Rather big differences there, not an easy task to do. Both the
brackets and the bonnet itself differs in the fastening of the
bumper. (And the earlier bumper is HARD to find in decent shape!)
/Odd

--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4