Oil leak

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil leak
From: HMENTZEN@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 15:47:08 -0400 (EDT)
Last week I change to a 5-50 syn lube for the Spit. As suggested by the list.
This week my oil leak seems worse. I climbed under today to clean things up
to try a pin point it. There was oil covering the bottom of the timing cover,
the oil pan itself, maybe a little oil around the dipstick( can the felt
washer be bad?) , there was evidense of oil on the exhaust pipe, and some on
the transmission. The valve cover seems dry but there was evidence of oil
towards the back of the head. After cleaning it up I ran the car for about 10
minutes and didn't see anything. The car is now sitting with newspaper under
it to try and find the drips. Where do I begin? Should I start with the oil
pan gasket(1 year oldbut I might have over tightened it)? One other thing I
noticed is that it seems to drip more when parked on a hill with the nose up.
Someone suggested that I might be looking at a rear main seal? Any

Hans Mentzen
79 Spit