RE: 63 spit top end

To: "'lewis mckillop'" <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: RE: 63 spit top end
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 19:18:05 -0700
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Lew,

        I'm sure you'll get a variety of responses on this, but it has been my
experience that this is one of the weaker points of the oiling system in Spits.
 First thing to check is the alignment screw in the rocker shaft is present.
This "phillips" style head actually serves to align the oil channel serving the
rest of the rocker arm assembly.  Without it, your rocker shaft will spin in
it's pedastal mounts and you wont see much, if any, oil with the valve cover
off.
        Even with the screw in, there isn't a lot of oil getting up here.  I
replaced my rocker shaft when I rebuilt my motor.  I was surprised how grooved
and flattened the damn thing was, and my screw was still in there.  They make
an external oiler which supplies a stronger supply of oil to the top of the
head, but at least a few of the listers have varying opinions on this addition.
        Anyway, this ain't no 'murican Iron boy....you lookin' fer a mircle ?

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar
Morgan Hill, CA