Re: Open vs. Closed Valve cover breather

To: Schloss3@aol.com
Subject: Re: Open vs. Closed Valve cover breather
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 10:19:14 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 11 Oct 1997 Schloss3@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone know when the TR4 switched from an open breather cap on the valve
> cover to the closed setup with the fumes being routed to the air cleaners?  I
> have three valve covers for my car and all three have the tube to use for the
> closed breathing.  The car is a 61 and one of the former owners might have
> swithed over.  If I decide to keep this setup, can I use the SU carbs, or do
> I need to use Stromberg.  I have both so I have my choice.

I'm pretty sure the breather was only used on the later TR4s (64+) or
maybe only the 4A.  I have a 4A engine with SU HS6 carbs in my '62.  There
is no PCV valve at all.  I think that I will either:

a) route the vent to a tube down to the road
  or
b) shoot it straight into the carbs

There is an 'extra' hole in the back of my air cleaner assemblies, I think
I'll go with the latter.

I think, for proper "emissions control", the PCV valve would be in order.
Since there's nowhere to mount mine (ie no hole in manifold), I'm not
going to use one.

When the engine is running, (and warming up) I can feel a light blast of
warm air through the vent.  I have not plugged it.

My chevette has a similar "draft tube" coming out of the valve cover and
going straight into the air cleaner.  It enters after the element, so the
vapors are not filtered.

Hope this helps,
-Malcolm