Re: Compression test

To: Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com>
Subject: Re: Compression test
From: "Todd W. Sigety" <toddsig@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 21:02:10 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Patrick Bitton wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to perform a compression test? What is passable? And
> if not passable does that mean the engine is worthless?
>
> Thanks
>
> Patrick
>
> 1970 TR-6 1rst Yellow, then Blue, Now Red
> CC 52138 0(the crappiest one)
> 1974 TR-6 Orange
> CF-13548 U

Patrick,

Looks like your message got lost between the "show car" and vanity plate
threads.

Recently I did a compression check on my '70 TR6. Run the engine until
it reaches normal operating temperature.  Remove spark plugs and the
high tension lead between the coil and the distributor.  Use string or
wire, hold open the throttle.  Check each cylinder with the compression
gauge by cranking the engine until the pressure reading stops rising.

According to the Bentley manual, all cylinders should have pressure
within 10 lbs of each other, (especially those next to each other). I
have heard that this is more important than how high the pressure is.

My test results were as follows, 155, 150, 152, 155, 160 and 115 (ouch).
I need to double check that last one.

If the pressure is too high, this indicates carbon build up in the
cylinder.  I do not know what is considered too high (maybe mine?).
A large variation between two adjacent cylinders could be a bad head
gasket, if the readings are low, it could be valves or piston rings.

Good luck.

Todd W. Sigety
1970 TR6 (Damson, sort of)
Alexandria, VA