Re: rollover accidents.

To: tkay@amlibs.com
Subject: Re: rollover accidents.
From: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 7:48:15 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Most modern convertibles do have reinforced windshield frames to provide
some protection during a rollover. Nevertheless, don't count on these to
save your life. No racing organization will allow you to drive your Miata on
a racetrack without a rollbar. Keep in mind that there is no Federal
regulation requiring car makers to provide rollover protection. They were
talking about doing that in the 1970s, and that's why Detroit stopped making
convertibles until the Eighties.

Take a look at your Spitfire's windshield frame--it obviously wasn't
designed to provide any protection in a rollover. I'm not saying that
everyone driving a convertible should run out an install a rollbar, but I
think it is wrong and dangerous thinking to believe that rollovers are
unlickely and that your windshield frame will support the car. Likewise,
it's wrong to assume that a coupe or sedan will provide much protection
either.