TR-3A carberators and transmition

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-3A carberators and transmition
From: STEELWINDS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 21:31:17 -0400 (EDT)
As I have said earlier , when I bought my 59 TR-3A it came with an extra
engine and transmition from a TR-4A. I was under the understanding from the
previous owner that the origional trans. did not have synchro for 1st. now
that I have pulled the trans. and layed it next to the spare they seem
identicle, I pulled the top off and both have what apear to be the same gear
set up and a revearse lever not a fork. I thought the trans. with synchro in
1st was to be 1" longer. My guess is that both trans are full synchro. How
would I know the difference between the two.
         The next thing is choosing which carborator to use. The origional
has SU AUC878 Type H6, the other has HS6 SU  with a different manifold. Which
one has a better performence record?
          Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Mike 59 TR-3A  all boxed up