Re: SB42 Signed

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SB42 Signed
From: burdekij@bvsd.k12.co.us (Jane Burdekin)
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 15:33:18 -0700
>Jane Burdekin wrote:
>>
>> Congrats to you Californians.  Wish I was there, mine just failed today so
>> I have 10 days to get it up to emmissions standards or pay $15 for another
>> test.  It passed last year, what a pain.
>>
>> Jane
>> '67 GT6
>>
>> > Dear Friends of SB 42:
>> >        The Governor today signed SB 42 exempting 1973 and older
>> >        vehicles from the biennial smog check requirement.
>> >        Chapert #801, the legislation will take effect January 1, 1998.
>> >        Thanks for your unwavering support!
>> >                         Sincerely yours,
>> >                         QUENTIN L. KOPP
>> >        QLK:SS
>Jane,
>In Washington state, If you fail the Emission test you can do work on
>the vehicle and take it back without paying more.  If you fail that time
>you can do more work and pay a new inspection fee.  However, if it
>continues to fail, you can show receipts ( I can't remember exactly
>how much you have to spend) for repairs and they will grant you a waiver
>
>It makes you wonder why they even bother.  Just pay off the auto repair
>shops and get the inspection certificate from them!
>
>Joe Curry  '63 Spit
>
>P.S. My Spit is old enough that it is exempt. (Yours would be too here)

Joe,
Thanks, we used to have a receipt type system here, but now ours is state
run, there are only 4-5 places in the state that you can go and I don't
think the receipt thing works any more.  I did forget about that so I'll
check into it.  Hope Colorado follows California's lead.  That would be
nice, I plan on driving this car for a long time, considering how much
money has already gone into it.  Jane