RE: Audible buzzer

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: RE: Audible buzzer
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 13:20:51 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

    Peter> The benefit of this arrangement being that you can
    Peter> now use the free lamp on the speedo to indicate the
    Peter> state of the o/d.

    Peter> Recently there were some threads on having a visual
    Peter> indication of the o/d state. I was interested in
    Peter> this but could see no way of "cleanly" implementing
    Peter> a dash light to do it. This possibility is
    Peter> intriguing though...

I've done the mod to my tach on the TR-4 to include a light
similar to that on the Speedo for the Main Beam indicator,
only red, not blue.  I couldn't find amber.  This indicator
is not very bright.  Basically, for those who don't know, the
TR-4 speedo has a light for the High/Main beam setting of your
headlights.  It looks something like this in construction:

  b -------    |
  bbbbbb   \   |]]      |
   bbGGGGGG --- ]]]]]]]s|p
wwwwwGGGGGG     ppppppppppp
   bbGGGGGG --- ]]]]]]]s|p
  bbbbbb   /   |]]      |
  b -------    |

Where the b's, G's and w's are the brass, glass and wire of
the light bulb, the ']'s are a rubber gasket-esque thing, and
the 'p's are a plastic lens.  The bulb fits into a fixture
swaged onto the back cover of the gauge, and the rubber
sandwiches between that and the actual gauge face.  the
plastic is actually held into the front face by a small spring
steel keeper 's'.  The mod is simple, drill back and front
appropriately, and install the lens and bulb holder, put the
gasket over the lens and re-assemble.  The problem is that the
lens is very inefficient at xmiting the light behind it.  It's
hollow, and not a very light colour to begin with.  I'm
working on finding a more modern replacement, perhaps
something in a high brightness LED that I can fit in the same
location without looking too non-period, or a fiber optic
filler for the lens to xmit more light.  I'll inform the list
of what happens.
                                                        -MM