Re: Spitfire Sill replacement - DIY ?

To: Joe Whalley <jw@mail09.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Sill replacement - DIY ?
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 09:25:48 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe Whalley wrote:

> My Spitfire sills are completely shot, and I was wondering if it makes sense
> spend the money on a mig welder and replace them myself, figuring I'd pay for
> the welder with what it would cost to have them put on. Trouble is, I've never
> welded before, and wonder if this is more than a rank beginner should attempt.
>
> In looking at the VB catalog, I see the Outer Rocker Panel and End Cap which I
> obviously need, but am not sure about the "Rocker Panel Oversill Kit". Is this
> an option? What about the "Inner Sill" and "Rocker Panel Inner" I'd appreciate
> any advice on this idea, and on who offers the best value in sill parts.
>
> Thanks - Joe
Joe,
In the restoration of my '63, I found it necessary to replace the rocker
panels (sills) as well.  Tearing them off revealed more problems.  The
inner sills were also gone, as well as the right "A" post.  Also the
bottom of both rear fenders were rusted through.

I got the replacement panels from VB and they fit well.

Here's what I did, maybe you can do the same.

1. I found a tool that fits into a power drill that drills around the
spot welds and leaves the underskin intact with raised areas where the
spot welds were.  Then all you do is grind them off with an angle
grinder.

The rear fenders (wings of you are of the British persuasion) require
cutting at the spot where the patch panels fit. (Be careful not to cut
too much.  It's much easier to cut more off than try to add some back
in.

Installing the panels was made much simpler by the use of a rented
portable spot welder ($25.00/day), I used an acetylene torch and brass
rods to finish the job.  Then I took the body to my local body-buddy
to smoothe out the rough edges and apply ample portions of Signal Red
paint.

Hope that helps!

Joe Curry   '63 Spit (FM4506L)