GT6 Heads...

To: chris_lillja@pupress.princeton.edu
Subject: GT6 Heads...
From: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 06:59:36 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Chris, I believe the earlier GT6 engines have smaller
diameter studs than the later ones.  The later engines are
essentially the same as the TR6 engines except for the
shorter stroke length.  There were also some changes in
the pistons on the later engines with staggered ports due
to changes in compression ratio for emissions purposes so
you have to pay close attention to the engine number when
purchasing pistons.  You can end up with a really outrageous
compression ratio if you use the wrong pistons with the
wrong head. I was not aware of crankshaft changes at KC5001,
but it's possible.  KC50001 is more likely, that's where the
Plus starts.

I had the engine in KC3565L (you wondered what my email
address meant, didn't you?) rebuilt a few years ago.  I
don't think there was any problem getting the necessary
parts.  Can't remember whether they replaced the pistons
or not.  You might be better off using an engine out of
a GT6 Plus.  They had the improved heads and hadn't yet
had the compression lowered like the later Mk 3's.  If
I had it to do over again, I would probably switch to a
Plus engine since the rebuild cost would have been the
same.
Dave