stuck TR6 head

To: Bristol7@aol.com
Subject: stuck TR6 head
From: Ljbtvr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:48:25 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Kirk writes:

>Our 1972 TR-6 which normally looks much better hauling me to work and
>errands is currently laid up in our garage for head work. I undressed
>the head (coolent,hoses,manifolds, rocker arm assembly,etc.)according
>to the manual, and I un-torqued the head nuts. I attempted to lift the
>head off the block but it would not budge. I gave it a rap with a dead
>blow hammer but it still would not move. I then pulled all the head
>studs figuring this would do the trick---still wouldn't budge. I even
>counted the head studs twice to make sure I didn't leave one in and
>went back through the manual to check if I may have forgotten...........
etc.

Why not reinstall the spark plugs and then turn the engine over?  Your con
rods would certainly not be damaged and the air pressure may pop it loose.

I had the same problem with one of my motors years ago and I wedged a piece
of wood in the crack at the gasket which got it loose.  Another idea- screw
some bolts into the rocker shaft holes, hook to engine lift, lift away.

Larry Bickel
ljbtvr@aol.com
Lancaster, PA
'68 GT6, my sleeping racer
'71 TVR 2500, my street car and sometimes racer
'85 Dodge Van
'83 Chevy S10
'80 Yamaha 650