1972 TR-6 Clyinder Head Removal

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1972 TR-6 Clyinder Head Removal
From: Bristol7@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 11:32:33 -0400 (EDT)
Our 1972 TR-6 which normally looks much better hauling me to work and
errands is currently laid up in our garage for head work. I undressed the
head (coolent,hoses,manifolds, rocker arm assembly,etc.)according to the
 manual, and I un-torqued the head nuts. I attempted to lift the head off the

block but it would not budge. I gave it a rap with a dead blow hammer but it
still would not move. I then pulled all the head studs figuring this would do
the
trick---still wouldn't budge. I even counted the head studs twice to make
sure
I didn't leave one in and went back through the manual to check if I may have
forgotten something---all to no avail. I believe the thing is really stuck
and it
either got pretty hot at some time in the past or the previous owner used
"perma-weld" to "seal" the head gasket. I have been advised to inject
motor oil into 1&6 cylinders and turning the motor over in hopes of having
the head lift off from the hydraulic action, however I am a little nervous
about
bending the con rods. Someone suggested inserting a piece of rope into the
spark plug hole and turning the engine over in hopes of having the piston
compress the soft rope against the head, but I am still worried about those
pesky con rods.An early try to bust the union by using engine compression
failed to yeild any results. Any ideas? About the only thing I can come up
with is to pull the oil pan, pull a piston and go from the bottem up, however
it seems like a lot of work and its something I have not much experience
with. Short of tying a rope to it and pushing it off a cliff, does anyone
have suggestions? Thank you in advance for your consideration and advice.
Best Regards, Kirk Yonker.