spit brakes squeak

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: spit brakes squeak
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider)
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 16:04:37 -0500
my 76 1500 probably sat for all but less than 1000 miles over the 2-3 years
the PO had it based on mileage on the previous title- there is plenty of
brake pad and shoe material left, but the right rotor has almost certainly
been machined (looks thin, I'll bet it's more than 0.060" under the nominal
0.375"
they squeal like crazy most of the time, and I think I have to stand on the
pedal a little too hard, I'm sure the lack of use and whatever has left me
with suboptimal friction
I'll replace both rotors, but I never want to hear that squeal again, it's
embarrassing if nothing else, so what brand/composition pads (I assume it's
from the front, but I suppose it could be from the back) should I get? do
the genuine Girling/Lucas caliper/cylinder overhaul kits have all that I'll
need to do the calipers and rotors?
thanks
Joe

Joseph R Schneider    Web Page http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML
76 Spitfire 1500  FM45587UC  Ilinois license plates "SPIT BOY"   VTR #11526
*Spit happens*