TR3 FUEL PROBLEMS LONG

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 FUEL PROBLEMS LONG
From: dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com (david r simpson)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 22:45:21 -0400 (EDT)
Hi List
 I need some help my my TR3B,  I think I have a fuel delivery/carb
problem.  The car was runing well last year. It sat in a body shop
all winter while the rear apron was being replaced after being rear
ended.  When I picked it up from the shop it would not start.  Found
the gas tank empty.  Filled it up and away it went.  A little later
I was on the freeway and noticed that the max speed was about 65 mph
with the pedal to the floor.  I looked over the car and found the foam
style air filter had hardened up.  I assumed that they were resticting
the air flow?  They were replace by standard paper style air filters.
Later on it started to miss more and more.  Also one day the linkage
between the the two Stromberg carbs loosened up. The engine would not
return to a normal idle.  The second carb was stuck wide open.
Freed up the carb and made it home and reset the linkage.  I checked &
cleaned the fuel filter and fuel pump.  There is definely gas getting to
the carbs.  There was hardly any dirt in the glass bowl.  And also just
installed a in-line fuel filter.  I thought that when the tank went empty
I might have goten some dirt and debris in the fuel system.  Opened up the
bowls on the carbs cleaned and replaced the needle valve with "Gross-
jet" style valves.  The now car idles, revs up and starts fine, but as you
increase speed while driving it starts to miss.  Would like th hear any
thoughts and/or suggestions.  Sorry for the long winded explaination, but
thought a liitle background would help.

Dave Simpson, Two Triumphs and not one running
NE Ohio
61 TR3B
76 Spitfire, waiting on brake parts