DHC vs. FHC handling

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: DHC vs. FHC handling
From: "Gregory J. Edge" <edgr@mbari.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 07:54:51 -0700
Cc: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Just picked up an '80 TR7 DHC FI in beautiful shape.  Have owned a
'78 FHC since it was new.  I expected some handling differences and
I do feel the squirrels wriggling a bit in the rear when accelerating,
however, the big problem is the front end dives when accelerating in
corners.  My spoiler is the sacrificial node.  The latter problem seems
to be well beyond simple DHC vs FHC handling characteristics.

PO says he replaced the struts about 4000 miles ago with Monroe.  Does
anyone know if Monroe makes struts specifically for the TR7?  Car has
45,000 miles and appears in near mint condition except for the nasty
scars on the lower outboard corners of the spoiler.  Tires are 185s and
have plenty of good tread left.  Bushings feel lightly worn, but no
really heavy play or slap.

I commute 50 miles a day on Highway 1 here on the central California
coast and the '80 DHC is the best looking most head turning car on the
road (IMHO).  Not to mention that I paid just about 5 per cent of the
cost for a new anything else.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Gregory J. Edge
'78 TR7 FHC (ZS) (OGDO - my first love)