tight-lipped TR3A tells all

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tight-lipped TR3A tells all
From: Dave Garron <bugeye@neca.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:11:53 -0400
Cc: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>, "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
In an attempt to figure out why the grille won't fit in my
newest TR3A, I measured the vertical openings of all three
noses.  The two spares are 8", while the installed nose is
only 7".  Looking down over all three suspects, the upper
lips on the spares seem to line up with the lower lips, while
on the questionable one, the upper lip is flatter and farther
back.  My guess is that when the (becoming D)PO had the shell
"restored" the car was pushed around a lot with the grille
removed, then the bodywork was done without ever test-fitting
the grille.  If I pull up at the center of the opening, the
upper lip approaches the proper profile and the gap increases.
Oh well... we'll see if I can pull it up enough without messing
up the new paint.  At least there's no evidence of filler.

I've been spending all my time putting in new hydraulics, I
don't know what drove me to look at the front end.  I should
learn to stick with the task at hand.  Like putting in new rear
brake lines and seeing how much oil is on the outside of the
differential.

Dave