Re: Austin-Healy Sprite - Closure

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Austin-Healy Sprite - Closure
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 18:06:45 -0400
Jack I. Brooks wrote:
> If you are are interested in the Spridget (Sprite badged MG-Midget)

  I realize this is a triumph list, but we all go to the same
car shows so this might be useful trivia. I'll be brief.

  Technically, there is no such thing as a Sprite Badged
MG Midget, it's the other way around. The Midget is
an Austin Healey design, that MG produced since they were
more equipped for high volume low cost production than
Austin Healey.

  The Bugeye sprite is the original. The Mark II sprite
was the first non-bugeye sprite, and became badge
engineered then by MG to produce the identical car
called the Mark I MG Midget.

  The two continue side by side until about 1970, when
they stopped making any as Austin Healeys. (400 were
made as simply Austin Sprites, the in-between stage
of the Healey-name use contract running out and the
decision to consolidate).

  MG continued to make the Midget in various forms until
1980. The post 1975 cars (I have a 75) used the Triumph
Spitfire 1500 engine (see, I knew I could make it relevant)
coupled with a Morris Marina-derived gearbox.

  The term "Spridget" is generally used to mean both, since
the two are interchangeable. A swap meet might have a sign
for a "Spridget left door" or similar, meaning that it is
a part for either car. Or a concours or racing class might
be known as "Spridget".

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada