MGB Backfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB Backfire
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph Schneider)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:39:49 -0500
yes, I know, this is a Triumph list, but I'm sure someone here will be
abvle to help
my friend just bought a 77 MGB (he's had all sorts of LBCs over the years,
but never a Triumph) and it backfires quite a bit unless the ckoke is out a
fair bit- it was converted to dual SU setup by a PO (an MG dealer mechanic
in South Carolina) years ago, that was two owners back- I suggested we just
check the timing- I have no idea what the scale is but this motor has a
sawtooth scale at about 10:30 o'clock facing the front of the engine (a
fair distance to the right hand, i.e., passenger side of straight up) on
the front of the engine, I checked and the timing was way ahead of the
beginning of this sawtooth scale, so I adjusted the distributor so that it
was just ahead of the first tooth of the saw- it nearly stalled at idle,
had no acceleration, and backfiring was much worse!- so much for that idea,
I returned to original setting, the engine ran much better and the
backfiring was essentially gone
any ideas?
thanks
Joe

Joseph R Schneider, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School
100 Burch, Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave, Evanston, IL 60201
voice: (847) 570-2565  fax: (847) 570-2899  e-mail: joe-schneider@nwu.edu
world wide web page:  http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML