Peoples choice - Experience

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Peoples choice - Experience
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:32:55 -0400
This weekend my TR3A took a first place (peoples choice), in TR2-3 class, at
one of New Jersey Triumph Association's all British car shows.  My car
cetainly is not a technically correct 100 point car, with some serious
flaws, according to the TRA manual (Bill, Bruce, and other NJTA technical
judges please disregard this message), but it does have nice paint and
chrome, wire wheels and is signal red.

One nice thing our club does, is that only the participants vote, so there
is at least minimal automotive knowledge picking the winners.

I know, when I voted for the other classes, especially TVR, MGA, Jaguar and
other British cars, I didn't have a clue as to technical correctness.  I
just picked what looked good and correct for the era.  Just like most of you
when it comes to other marques, I really don't know much beyond, "That's a
nice looking car."   Also, how does one compare a beautiful Rolls-Royce, a
classic Morgan, a pristine Sumbeam alpine and a really cute Nash
Metropolitan in the "other British" category?

So, bottom line, at least IMHO, is that peoples choice is not judges choice,
not best car, not even the nicest car.  It is simply, the car the people
liked best on that day.  Of course, on this weekend, the people DID just
happen picked the nicest TR3.   ;-)    <chuckle>

Picking your shows to coincide with major events like the Eastern VTR meet
this comming weekend certainly doesn't hurt either.

Proud Papa,

Jack (no delusions of grandure) Brooks