Re: Plug in TR4 block

To: VANDECARR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Plug in TR4 block
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 09:24:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
VANDECARR@aol.com wrote:

> I need the aluminum plugs that seal up each end of the oil galley on the TR 4
> block.  The machine shop had to distroy them to remove them to clean the
> block.  It seems to be a piece of threaded stock that is screwed into the
> block and them cut off.  It is some where between a 3/8" and 1/2" pipe
> thread.  I made a few phone calls to suppliers and they know of it but don't
> have it.  Does anyone have such a thing or know of a source?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dean VanDeCarr
>
> 64 TR 4  Half way done (belongs to my 15 year old son)
> 73 TR 6  (should be done this summer)

I ran into this problem with my first engine rebuild in the late 70's...
I didn't discover they were missing until I had the engine on a hoist,
and I was lowering it into the engine compartment... that's when I
noticed this hole in the back...  UGH!!  I must have been blind when I
had installed the timing chain and flywheel... etc...

My fix was a bolt...  I found the right thread... cut it off...  and
ground a slot for a flat screwdriver...  it worked great... If you have
a band saw... you can use the bandsaw to make the slot... after you've
cut the bolt...  It's actually not that big of a deal... any nuts/bolts
specialty hardware should have the right threads...

which by the way... when I run into problems like that... I take two
pieces of clay... one piece I cram enough in to get a VERY good
impression of the threads... (i.e.  I just stick in a little bit so that
I can squish it against ONE side of the hole... thereby assuring that I
get a good section of thread represented...)  THEN, after removing my
thread impression... I take another wad of clay... and squish it into
the hole... which gives me a good example of the hole size...   with
these two things in hand...  I can easily pick out the right bolt.

(I didn't own calipers back then... nor thread guages... OKAY?  I was
just a teenager...)

Maybe this info helps?

Justin
jmwagner@hotmail.com