Re: TR-4 Interior Question(s)

To: token1@ridgecrest.ca.us, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR-4 Interior Question(s)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 18:31:55 -0400 (EDT)

> Should the piping on the Midnight Blue interior be Midnight Blue also?

As far as I know, the color of the seat piping for the TR4 Midnight Blue is
uncertain.  Which means it could be either white or blue.  The TR4A piping
was white.  Note, your TR4's are early that they should have the TR3A seats.
 These were changed at body number CT15076.  Also the TR4 Midnight Blue
interior was normally available in ''62 only with Powder Blue paint (no paint
code #) although there is some conjecture that it might have been available
in the U.S with a Spa White (no paint code #) paint job.  [Prior to '64 the
paint codes were not on the commission plate].

If my memory serves me well, in '64 I could NOT get the blue interior with
New White (#19 - the name and shade of the then white).  I wanted a white car
w/ a blue interior but my choices were a black or red interior.  In '64 the
Blue interior color was only available with #26 (Wedgewod Blue) paint, which
had replaced the Powder Blue paint at CT21247 (in Mar '63)

>  Anyone have an original car with the Midnight Blue interior that would be
>  willing to answer seemingly incessant, inane questions from Ma Leach's
>  favorite offspring (namely me)?

Pass.  My interior was/is black leather.

>  I am assuming that the dash padding for a Midnight interior would still
>  be black.  Is this correct?

Correct.

>  Is the top dash cover for a TR-4 the same as for a TR-4 A?  My early car
>  (CT5368LO) has a dash cover that has "softer" (more round) lines to the
>  raised sections over the Speedo/Tach and Glovebox.  The later car
(CT13108L)
>  has very deffinate corners to these raised areas, but I know the interior
>  for this car came from a TR-4 A.

As far as I can tell the two top dash pads (TR4 and TR4A) were "the same".
 Now - two things spring to mind 1) Quality control over the at least three
years between the 4 and 4A models (you said the interior came from a 4A)
could account for slight differences or 2) maybe the pad was replaced with an
after market repro.

  I know that the vinyl used by some of our "major suppliers" does not match
exactly as far as grain goes ( I have a crack in the handle under the glove
box and when I tried to buy a replacement in 1993 it was not close enough for
me.  (I did replace it in '68 but that was off a wrecked 3 year or 4 year old
car).

>  Thanks,
>
>  Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
>     email: token@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us
>  1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)   Every Day
>  1962 TR-4 (CT13108L)
>  1965 Spitfire Mk.II
>  1967 Spitfire Mk.III  (In work, lots of 1500 stuff)

You're welcome.  Hope this helps, Darrell - if not, have at me again.
 Cheers.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 Ct33118L (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant