Re: Clutch fork, shaft and release bearing

To: "tri" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Clutch fork, shaft and release bearing
From: "STU-JO" <STU-JO@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 19:00:21 -0400
Alan, the secret of the shear pin is not to prestress it by tightening it
too much. Finger tight then a 1/2 turn or so to snug it up is enough. Its
wired so it won't come loose. JMHO Stu

----------
From: Alan.McEachran@anixter.com
To: Reply Requested <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch fork, shaft and release bearing
Date: Wednesday, June 18, 1997 2:06 PM

When I recently opened the bell housing on the clutch, I was very pleased
see an almost new Borg & Beck clutch.  Just as the PO stated.  However, the

release bearing, the fork, the retaining bolt and the clutch fork mounting
shaft had been attacked by corrosion to varying degrees.  The outside of
the
bearing had some surface rust, but operated smoothly.  The splined shaft
was
untouched and in good shape except for a bit of old hardened grease.  The
fork,
bolt, safety wire and mounting shaft were all badly corroded at the
surface.

I will be replacing the bolt and safety wire, and may go with the grade 8
bolt
recommended on the list a while back.  I'm probably going to pull the fork
assembly to give it a wire brushing to remove the rust,  then clean the
splined
shaft of old guck.  White lithium grease seems recommended for the splined
shaft (how much is too much?), and what is the recommendation for corrosion

protection/lubrication for the other components.

Also anyone had bad luck with the extra strength fork retaining pins from
Moss?

Alan McEachran
72 TR6
Hopefully running in 1998