Re: TR6 "pops" out of 3rd.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 "pops" out of 3rd.
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:29:26 -0700
>I just finished putting together a TR6 I purchased about a year ago
(special thanks to Dick Burger at B.P.C.). Everything works well execpt the
transmission pops out of third when I decelerate.  It is also dificult to
get into gear at times (very "notchy").

>The PO swears it was just rebuilt and visual inspection shows no teeth
missing. ***********************************************
William.
It's not the teeth on the gears that causes the jumping you describe, it's
the little 'dog' teeth that the third/fourth slider (hub) engage that can
cause it.  You need to look at the shape of them.  If they are rounded off
this will cause jumping out of gear.  The teeth should  have sharp facets
and be quite pionty.  Any pronounced rounding here can cause the symptoms
you describe (hard to engage).  Also the same applies to the engagement
surfaces of the slider, difficult to see unless taken apart and examined.
In extreme wear conditions you will experience jumping out under
acceleration as well!  Barring a mechanical restriction of the third/fourth
slider I would say you have a worn out third gear (slider teeth, not the
gear itself) or third/forth slider (hub).

Barry Schwartz in San Diego,CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6 Spitfire ( T5, 5 speed's, almost done, maybe 2 more weeks!)
70 GT6+ (daily driver for now)
70 Spitfire (body repair on hold see above)