Re: worlds longest running unfinished TR6 restoration

To: Sandy Levine <slevine@netmatics.com>
Subject: Re: worlds longest running unfinished TR6 restoration
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:27:22 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: McGaheyRx@aol.com, slevine@toucan.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Sandy Levine wrote:

> You summed up why we drive these cars. Their is no adventure in driving a
> plain chevy or ford - - even if you have a collector car. They have no real
> personality.

Dem's fightin' words, son! Don't tell my 1951 Chevrolet that it has no
real personality! :-)

> I pull into a service station with my 62 T-bird with a problem and they can
> fix it by taking a part off and old ford truck sitting out back -
> basically the same 390 V8 for years.

True enough in many areas, assuming once can actually FIND service
stations nowadays. But the same general situation could easily be
recreated in the home country (or, for some of us, right here in our own
yards): pull into a shop with your TR3 and the watch the bloke run down to
the hedgerow and pull a usable spare off an old Vanguard or Ensign saloon!
But something tells me that I might not be quite as lucky in England if my
Chevy were to need repair.

> So the restoration starts with the day you pruchase the car and lasts way
> after you sell the car as long as you have an old part still burried in the
> garage somewhere.

I think that's a universal truth of collector cars and really isn't
limited to LBCs.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *