Re: Brakes going ?

To: Carol Zingone <JRHoffman@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Brakes going ?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:12:08 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Carol Zingone wrote:

> Fellow listers:
>
> Having *finally* accomplised the simpler things in TR ownership, it now
> feels as though my brakes might be suffering problems.  Pedal feels as
> though it goes to the floor, but it's about an inch short.  Stops fine,
> pressure feels low though.  Some squealing from time to time.  Had
> rotors turned when I bought it, 1 1/2 years ago.
>
> Other than the most obvious, like checking fluid levels and master
> cylinder, is there anything else I need to check ?  Also, I'm fairly
> confident the master cylinder may be original..

Needless to say, checking the entire system for leaks would be a very good
idea. Also, maintaining a steady and firm pressure on the brake pedal, see
if the pedal continues to move over time, i.e., does it slowly go further
and further down?

It it possible that the rear brakes could be wildly out of adjustment.
With the correct wrench (and a bit of luck in the adjustor being willing
to cooperate and not being rusted solid), you might need to do no more
than put the rear adjustment right to correct your pedal travel problem.

Adjusting the rear brakes is fairly simple, but remember that adjustment
is performed in quarter-turns of the adjustment peg, NOT just a gradual
turning. (Picture the "business end" of the adjustor peg as a sort of
pyramid with the corners rounded off. It does have four distinct sides.)

--Andy