Re: Body Measurements

To: "scott suhring" <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>, "MICHAEL FRANCIS KUTKA" <cpecod@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Subject: Re: Body Measurements
From: "The Herr Family" <dherr@innernet.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 00:42:31 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I would recommend that you pay extreme caution in the reassembly.
Triple check the measurements and also test fit each fender and door
to confirm the alignment. My body shop just had to have my car taken
to the frame shop to be "realigned". It seems that the car was hit in the
front corner at some time in it's long life. The result was that the right
side
was around 1/2 inch back. Visually everything looked good. I welded every
thing back together (floors, rockers, inner rockers, bulkhead panels,etc...
and even test fitted the doors and fenders. Once this was completed,
everything
appeared okay. But once the body was installed on the frame, the passenger
door would not align up with the B posts. I attributed this to the mounting
of
the body to the frame and assumed that the body shop would fix it. He also
"assumed" this as well and proceeded to do all the body work to the shell
and
the outer sheet metal. But with the body on the frame, you could not shim
the shell to get the door to align. The frame shop had to pull the
floor/rocker
on the right side forward 1/2 inch and also push the rocker down to align
the door.
The fortunate result for me is a straight car that has excellent door gaps
(for a TR4 that is, don't try the bearing test), but this educated me to
the hidden
damage an accident can cause. They told me that is is not uncommon to have
distortion and "stress" in panels that appear to be okay and in alignment.

Final word of experience - Test fit everything twice..............

Good luck

Dave Herr
73 Stag
65 TR4A (almost done)