Big Scare - Tie Rod Ends

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: Big Scare - Tie Rod Ends
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 11 Jun 1997 17:37:34 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 04C12339F44CE031-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 11 Jun 1997 17:37:34 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 11 Jun 1997 17:37:34 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <04C12339F44CE031*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Greetings Scions,

The missus and I had quite a scare last weekend.  We were taking a short
spin Saturday morning, which included about 4 miles down the freeway at 65
to 70 mph.  Our destination was a shopping center in Irvine, about a
fifteen minute drive from our home.  As I turned into the parking lot of
the shopping center, the front end began to wobble something terrible, and
our Spitfire felt like it was shaking to bits!

Opened the bonnet and discovered that the right tie rod nut had vibrated
off and the tie rod had finally popped up out of the link so that the right
front wheel was splayed out like a cut open turkey!  Imagine if it had
happened on the freeway at 70 mph!!  Wierd, too, because all fittings were
new as I restored the entire car from the ground up.  After my heartbeat
slowed down, I had a friend tow us home where I promptly put a new nylock
nut on, with a locking star washer, and a little Threadlock as a
precaution.  Checked all other front suspension bits and all was well.
Christ, nothing like a bout of good luck when it was needed, eh?

Ross D. Vincenti   - Costa Mesa, CA
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe