Re: TR 250 Front Valance

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR 250 Front Valance
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:00:56 -0400
Cc: Ken Brown <kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov>
Ken Brown <kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov> wrote:

>  I'm looking for a little help from my fellow Club Two Five Oh members or
> anyone who might have some insight into my question. As part of the
>restoration
> of my TR 250 I noticed that the car had at one time been in a accident and had
> the front valance replaced with one from a TR 4. While the valance fits OK it
> is missing the air opening in the lower center of the valance.
>    Can someone on the list let me know the dimensions of the opening including
> location, size (including approx. radius of the corners), whether the opening
> has a lip around it or if it is just cut out? Is it worth cutting the opening
> out?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ken  TR 250 since 1980

Ken,

   When I bought my 250, the front valance was also in very bad shape.  It was
so
smashed up and stretched out of shape, that I had buy a TR4 one to replace it.
Worrying about originality, like you, I decided that before I mounted it to the
car,
I must have vent hole put in it. I would have done it myself, but there is a
curled
edge.  I took my roughly straightened origional and my new replacement part
down to
a shop in Stratford Ct, called Automotive Restorations.  They are a very high
quality
shop.  I talked to a man named Mark Barton, who is from England, and
specializes in
fabricating fenders and other body parts from sheet metal.  He put the hole I
wanted
in, and while I won't say it was an "excellent" job (I haggled over the price &
evidently
got what I paid for), it was a fairly accurate reproduction of what the old one
looked
like, both in placement and size of the origional.
   Keeping in mind I have a reproduction panel hole, here are the stats:
Width: 8 3/4"
Height: 3 1/4"
Edge: 1/4" curled in
Corners: Match curve of a 1 3/8" circle
Location: 4" down from the upper edge (the fold edge, not the absolute panel
edge)

  Good Luck,

                                           JOE IV
                                           TR Two Five Oh