Re: TR4A Wiper Motor/Scuttle

To: Ct54531@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4A Wiper Motor/Scuttle
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 1997 10:37:33 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ct54531@aol.com wrote:

> I am restoring a 1965 TR4A and am currently stripping the paint under the
> hood in preparation for painting. I was considering taking out the wiper moto
> to really get at the area around it but thought I remembered that it was not
> a good idea to mess with the wipers unless one had to. Then I looked in on
> the recent thread discussing basically the same thing with a TR-3 and I noted
> the comments about not doing it - just painting around it.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1 - Does the comment apply to TR-4A also. Should I just leave the wiper motor
> alone and paint under and around it?
>
> 2 - What the heck is a scuttle?

No, it is not that big a deal to take it out of the TR 4A, in my
opinion.  If you take the top off the windscreen wiper gearbox... you'll
see how it disconnects...

Just lift the crosshead up and out of the gearbox...  removing the
mounting bolts is academic...

Where the nightmares can begin... is if you try to take it further...
and you try to remove the crosshead and rack from the bulkhead...  Not a
good idea....

Just remove the gearbox and mask off the remainder.