catalytic converter

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: catalytic converter
From: kpalic@netrax.net (Palic-Kevin)
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 12:25:30 -0400
I drive a 1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 with 62,000 miles on it.  I'm only
able to take short trips (in cold weather), because the catalytic
converter glows (red hot) in very short order.  I've burned through one
converter and have nearly destroyed another. (The car has the original
smog equipment and as near as I can tell it functions properly).

I've been through the obvious (air cleaner, plugs, air pump, timing,
vacuum advance, carb adjustment and rebuild (several new needles),
etc. solutions.  And some of the note so obvious solutions (rebuilding,
then replacing then automatic choke with a manual), swapping the carbs,
valve timing, gutting the converter. The convertor continues to glow
(with or without platinum).  I hesitate to make many modifications
because Pennsylvania has been toying with emissions standards that may
require all original equipment (even in an '80) to function.

There appear to be only two settings for the carb, too rich or too lean,
and there is only an infitesimal adjustment between the two.  Any one
been through this before?

Thanks, Kevin Palic