FW: Re: Pinto Carb and manifold question

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: Pinto Carb and manifold question
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 12:44:40 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 68  global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 70]

     Date: Thu, 29 May 97 15:52:00 PDT
     From: Mike A Gendimenico <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com>
     Subject: Re: Pinto Carb and manifold question

Yup, we still have my wife's old '71 pinto parked up on
the hill.  I bought a weber for my LUV pickup and sure
enough it was almost identical to the Pinto carb except
for the water choke.  Her pinto has the 1600 engine,
which I beleive is English Ford and was used quite a
bit for racing.

Mike

Well I guess its time to stick my  foot in my mouth by:
1 admitting my history with a Pinto
2 sending out information that I have not reviewed in ages (watch for
possible errors)

I don't know much about the 2300 motor that went in the pinto's, but
there was a 2000 that was opitional in the earliest years and was the
base engine in 1974 ( one of my high School Cars).  At least in 74 this
car had a Holley carberetor 2BBL that I believe was made under license
from Weber.  I don't know much about the DGV, but I think this Holley was
a vacuum secondary and worked quite well in racing applications.  An
outfit in NY called Racer Walsh sold all kinds of goodies for these
engines.  A very similar Holley was also used on early Chrysler 2.2
engines.

Offenhauser used to make a beautiful dual port intake manifold for that
engine  which my father installed on our Pinto.

BTW a Pinto with the 2000 and an upgraded cam,  dual point distributor,
header and the offy manifolds will top out at over 100! (just barely,
and according to the internal speedometer)  With three in the car!
With an inordinate amount of flogging the poor Pinto could almost keep
up with a friends 302 Mustang (on a road with enough curves).

Actually the 2000 and 2300 and 1600 are all pretty good motors.   The
2000 and 2300 are german designs and will rev to your hearts content
(with appropriate manifolds etc).

Tom Leake
Who also drove a 62 AH 3000 MKI to High School.  Did not get to compare
it to the Mustang as it had been totaled by then!
65 TR 4 A IRS (still in pieces)