It *finally* runs great

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: It *finally* runs great
From: Scott Paisley <scotty@csn.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 1997 15:55:11 -0600
Last we left, we had mixed two perfectly good fluids, GAS and OIL to
make a mess in the engine.

There are two places where fuel can find it's way to the oil; the fuel
pump, and/or the carbs.  After some debugging, it was sure to be the
carbs.  The pump had no signs of fuel on the oil side of the pump.

However, last weekend, I put new valves and diaphragm in the fuel pump.
I knew that wasn't the problem, but I had it apart and did it anyway.
Maybe smart, maybe not, but the old diaphragm in the pump was quite
(ab)used.

I removed the carbs, pulled out inlet needle assemblies and found tiny
bits of debris.  Looked like tiny bits of paper, perhaps a gasket from
somewhere. (Fuel pump?)  I put in some inlet assemblies I had from a
previous attempt, and reassembled.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE.  The car ran
GREAT.  I took it for a spin!  I had air flowing through my hair!  I
had to turn the heater on!  On the way home, it started this missing
crap again.  But at least I know what it is.  I need to order new
parts, gross jets, needles, diaphragms for the carbs.  They are on
their way.

I'll keep the car off the road till I get this stuff.  I also plan on
adding a small fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carbs.  That
should help ensure the jets stay clear.  No point in mixing two
perfectly good fluids and coming up with mud.  :-)

Waiting patiently...

-Scotty '75TR6  (almost there)