Re: TR4A IRS Camber

To: jamjones@online.no
Subject: Re: TR4A IRS Camber
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 09:40:57 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

According to what little ducumentation that I have for TR4A IRS, I see
that there were two different springs offered for TR4A, a "shorty" that
had a free length of 9.5 inches and a "longie" that was 11 inches free
length.

Further, the late TR6 springs were 11.375 inches free length.

I think the TRF "competition" springs are in the 11 to 11.5 inch free
length range.

Moss offers a spring that has a free length of 10.1875 inches. If you
happened to have taken out "shorties", this particular spring would be
the right length, more or less.

The drawback to the Moss spring, for you application is that it is over
30 percent stiffer than your stock spring. You will notice this. If your
goal is AutoX or "spirited driving", then this is a good solution. If you
want long liesurely rides, you might need to look for other solutions.

Now, the other factor in the rear suspension semi-trailing arm geometry is
the mounting brackets. There are three different brackets, one-notch, two
and three-notch. You probably have one-notch inner and outer brackets. If
you switch to a three notch inner and a one-notch outer, and you orient
the notches up, you should have the "highest" setting that you can get.
This setting should cure your positive camber problem, but it will make
the back sit higher. Also note that the notches normally go up, but I
understand the brackets to be non-semetrical, so other "ride height"
combinations are possible.

As for running without the rubber packing on the springs, you can do that,
but I think you only gain a quarter of an inch or so total. Add this to
the fact that without the packing rubber, you will transmit more wheel and
road noise to the car. You probably don't want to do that.

Note: Moss had an excellent article about this topic about three or four
years ago in one of their circulars.

The Moss part number is 670-148.

C Ya,
rml

P.S. don't forget to get the rear end aligned after all this work!
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? Just a few.