Re: phony sportscars revisited <19970529004354343.AAG196@hom

To: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Subject: Re: phony sportscars revisited <19970529004354343.AAG196@home-compaq>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 09:18:53 PDT
Cc: "James Charles Ruwaldt" <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>Gano, Ken said:
 > Hate to disagree, but my '84 Porsche 928 had an auto box and it was every
 > bit a sport car (as long as you don't count the power windows, power seat
 > and air conditioning)

Well, I agree and disagree.  Many racing cars these days have automatic
transmissions -- or at least semi-automatic.  Quite a few formula one cars,
for isntance.  It's much easier to punch a button on the steering wheel than
to remove your hand, grope for the stick, work the clutch etc....safer too.

So "real" sports cars can certainly have auto trannies.

I'd not call the 928 a sports car, though.  It's a high performance touring
coupé.  (Oooh, now we get the "what's a 'real' sports car" thread!)

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center