Re: Time to paint! Oh boy...

To: triumph listserv <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Time to paint! Oh boy...
From: Roger Helman <rogerh@digimation.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:20:20 -0500
richard bacon wrote:

> >Rick,
> Don't let the paint shop put a bead of sealer at the crack between
> >the fenders and body AFTER the fenders have been fitted! It seems to
> >drive good painters/bodymen crazy to have the body seams exposed, but
> >learned the hard (expensive) way that the factory knew that the body
> flex
> >is so great on these cars that cracks in the paint soon appear at the
>
> >seams if a sealer is used.
>
> Phew! That's what my bodyman reccomended. I told him about the other
> TR's I
> saw with cracked paint. He suggested it probably was filled with body
> filler but the flex in the sealer would resolve the problem.
>
> What do you suggest? Painting the fender, THEN installing it? Anybody
> out
> there with suggestions/experience?

    Do not fill, with sealer or filler. I made this mistake and am going
to pay for it soon (new paint job)!  It looked good at first, but now
cracks and chips are beginning to appear after about 1500 miles.  I
would paint them on. To many chances to scratch them while mounting
them.

I believe the black rear valance is a North American variation.  I
think, I remember reading about it in a TRF catalog/news letter a while
back.

--
Roger Helman
71 TR6 CC67866L