Re: Alternator diagnostic procedure? -Reply

To: mmason@lindenwood.edu, anne.van.leeuwen@medtronic.com
Subject: Re: Alternator diagnostic procedure? -Reply
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 15:13:58 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-05-27 14:38:13 EDT, mmason@lindenwood.edu (Mike Mason)
writes:

> Several places advertise a single wire hook-up alternator.  Can this be
>  put on a TR6 and if so, what do you do with the other wires?  Does the
>  single wire setup eliminate the little red light?  Seems like that would
>  be unwise.

Mike:

Yes, the one wire alternator can be put on a TR6, but I can see no reason to
do so. The other wires will have to be taped off and tied back, because they
will still be hot, unless you want to go to the trouble of disconnecting them
at both ends. The red light will no longer function with the single wire
alternator.

>From a physical mounting standpoint, both the one-wire and the standard GM
alternator are identical. The only difference is electrical. The one-wire is
more expensive than the standard. The only reason for using a one-wire is to
simplify the wiring. Since your TR6 already has the required wires in place,
and it is extremely easy to hook up the standard unit, I strongly recommend
using the standard.

If you should desire to make the swap, let me know, and I will send you the
instructions for the wiring part. I'll need to know the year of your TR6, and
how many wires are at the alternator plug (in case someone has modified it
before). You will need to figure out the mounting details, or ask someone
else on the list. Someone on this list, I forget who, suggested that a Ford
Fiesta alternator will fit without any alterations. If this is so, that would
definately be the way to go.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/