Re: TR6 Bonnet Release

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Bonnet Release
From: "Bill Hooper" <hooper@rf.capitolweb.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 01:10:10 -0500
> From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
> To: 'TR6 List' <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: TR6 Bonnet Release
> Date: Monday, May 26, 1997 1:50 PM
>
> I have read with interest the threads on setting up a second release
> cable to prevent a hassle when the original breaks. I now have a couple
> of questions:

If you get completely sick of bonnet release cables:

You might like the look of a bonnet strap.  It's certainly easier & very
reliable.  It was very period (seems like SCCA may have required them at
one time, & a lot of weekend racers had them from the '50's through the mid
'70's).

It works like a belt.

You need:
2 monstrous buckles, & a piece of leather about 2" wide & about a foot
longer than the width of the hood.
Easiest to find at saddlery & harness shops (we're talking horses here!)

Buckles are attached on top of the wings on either side of the bonnet, at
the end
of the hood which opens.
The strap, with holes punched in the ends like a belt, goes across the
bonnet, & into the buckles.

Ghastly as it sounds, it's got a deadly roguish look.
If you find some pix of vintage racers in the US & UK, you'll see bonnet
straps on MGA's, TR6's, & XK's.

Back in the day, you didn't play stoplight games with an LBC with a bonnet
strap, you knew where that car went on weekends.