SU question for a Spit

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: SU question for a Spit
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 97 21:59:35 -24000
Here's the situation: Some time in the mists of prehistory, the DPO of my '75
Spitfire put in an engine from a '79, the intake manifold from a '70, and
awarded this gulash with the SU's from a '62-'66 car (HS2's AUC983).

Anyhow.  I got the carbs overhauled and cleaned out, set the timing static to
10 degrees BTDC, and tried to start the car.

Problem #1- coughing back thru the carbs (timing issue?  If so, what do I set
the car to statically, since I can't just start it and then time it.)  The
original setting for a '79 was 3 degrees ATDC.  Do the older carbs and lack
of smog equipment change that, or is the BTDC settings of older cars related
to compression?

Finally got the engine running.  A little rough, but after a minute or two it
seems to want to smooth out.  I back off the choke.

Problem #2 - Gas comes squirting out of the front carb, either from around
the hose to tube connection, or from the vent hole.  This gas is caught by
the wind from the fan, and sprayed liberally over the windshield.

I say "*^$$%#!" [translation: "Gee, this could be a problem!" and shut
everything down.  Fortunately, the headers aren't hot enough to ignite the
gas fumes, turning the Spit into a pagan sacrifice.

Now, is this a) A Grosse jet getting jammed open? or
             b) A fuel pump putting out more than 3-5 psi, or
             c) Something that has to do with my more modern fuel pump
                running old small SU's?

All opinions freely excepted.

It seems that for every problem solved, two more pop up.  Aha!  The car now
has a name, and will eventually be graced with vanity plates reading "HYDRA,"
for the monster from mythology that grew two heads for every one chopped off.

regards,

Sean Johnson
'75 Spitfire