Re: Miracle Paint

To: Doug Mathews <tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: Miracle Paint
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 00:00:19 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, duhart@symbol.com
Doug Mathews wrote:

> >In a message dated 97-05-21 08:32:24 EDT, duhart@symbol.com (DUHART JOHN)
> >writes:
> >
> ><< Has anyone hard of 'Miracle Paint'?
--------------------------
It's funny this should come up for conversation.

I puchased an armload of his products this past fall at Hershey, Pa
(collector car event). Purchase the exhaust paint both in the quart and
spray can. People around me swore by it ( was that a set up). Anyway I
also puchased a quart of Miracle Paint. I did asked some direct
questions about the stuff and (I talked direct to either him or a look
alike) about the wonder of it all.

Specifically they stress a bare metal, sandblasted or just a rusted
surface and have at it. I paid my money and continued through the show.
By the way why are they're at least a half dozen POR15  resellers at
these shows? There's almost as many aluminum can welders.

Anyway

Pulled my TR6 frame out of outside storage (painted wrapped in plastic
for 2 yrs) and started work. Sandblasted all the surface rust that came
from missing while painting after I repaired it two years ago. I always
paint my frame off's with rustoleum rusty metal primer and then the
black top coat. Always looks good! My 71 TR6 and 85 Jeep scrambler are
done that way and look great.

The big problem is when the brake or clutch master starts leaking all
that nice paint wrinkles and falls off.

I blasted and roughed up the old (2yr) primer ,as the salesman suggested
and went at it with this stuff. They tell you to brush paint it and make
sure everything is covered. Painted the bottom and after one coat it
looked like #@$&%%$ put on the second coat and it looked a little better
but still looked like #@$&%%$. Same story for the other side.

Its kind of disipointing when you spend all the time cutting and welding
out riggers,reinforcements and replacing dif pins and the frame looks
like #@$&%%$.

Since that time I have been building up my frame and had put off its
looks. Ran into a franchisee of Hircsh and suggest that I called them
directly.

Called and it took about a minute and Bill Hirsch was on the phone (I
hadn't really complained yet)and got an earfull (spare all of you the
detail). After describing the process I used he "suggested on his own to
replace my paint and sent me another quart.

He sells good stuff but don't believe the salesmen out there read whats
on the label. Put it only on scuffed bare metal, rusty metal, metal
thats been metal prepped but not on anything thats been primed.

Paint with clothes that you plan to throw away. This stuff dries hard as
a rock and will not come out

Glenn

71 & 74 TR6's