Re: Diff Noise - Gears?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Diff Noise - Gears?
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 07:55:42 -0700
Joe M. writes:
>I did a rebuild on my TR6 differential while it was out last month.  New
outer bearings, oil seals, gaskets,
  < snip >
>I've been told that it's probably just a drive gear mesh situation.  The
gears evidently did not go back into the groove that they had been used to
for 68,000 miles and they are now running a little uneven.  The prognosis?
No danger but inconvenience and it will eventually clear up with time and
miles driven.
Joe,
What 'outer' bearings are you referring to?   The ones that the outer axle
stubs ride in?  If thats the case you didn't change anything in the gear
mesh and your noise is something else.  If you're talking about the carrier
bearings and or pinion bearings, and you didn't reset/check for the proper
running clearances than you have a BIG problem.  No matter what anybody says
you can't simply replace the bearings without setting up or checking the
rear end to check for mesh and end float (backlash).  The bearings WILL be a
different thickness, however slight.  You may get lucky and they would still
be in tolerance, but it's been my experience that they won't be.  Iv'e set
up MANY a rear end and I can tell you if you change pinion bearings YOU WILL
HAVE TO RESET FOR GEAR MESH PERIOD!  If you are simply changing the carrier
bearings than all you will have to set is backlash, as gear mesh *should* be
O.K.
Your noise will NOT go away if it is in fact gear noise.  Noise is wear.
Wear is  generating heat, and pre-mature faliure.  Were not talking about
next week, next month, or even next year (unless the noise is really loud)
but decreased overall life of the unit.

Barry Schwartz in San Diego,CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6 Spitfire ( 5 speed's mounted, working on tranny cover )
70 GT6+ (daily driver for now)
70 Spitfire (body repair on hold see above)