Diff Noise - Gears?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Diff Noise - Gears?
From: jmerone@vtetv.org (Joe Merone)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 14:16:40 GMT
Hello fellow listers:

I feel like the surgeon who's discovered a potential problem after the surgery
and now has to decide whether to open up the patient again or not.  Here's the
details:

I did a rebuild on my TR6 differential while it was out last month.  New outer
bearings, oil seals, gaskets, etc.  No signs of unusual wear were evident
inside the gearcase and everything looked rather clean and tight.  Now that
it's back together and on the road I am experiencing a noise and slight
vibration that has me worried.

After warming up there's a rhythmic whirring and rubbing noise that increases
in frequency with speed that appears to be coming from the diff area.  However
it ONLY occurs when no torque or drive is being applied to the drivetrain (ie.
foot off the gas or under slight pressure only).  When shifting up through
gears or with any peddle pressure applied it goes away.  Happens both in
neutral and in forward or reverse gear also.

I've been told that it's probably just a drive gear mesh situation.  The gears
evidently did not go back into the groove that they had been used to for 68,000
miles and they are now running a little uneven.  The prognosis?  No danger but
inconvenience and it will eventually clear up with time and miles driven.

Has anyone else had this happen to them after rebuilding a diff?  There's
solace to be taken in like experiences.

Joe Merone

South Burlington, VT

CF 18928