Re: 74 vs 74 1/2 TR6s

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 74 vs 74 1/2 TR6s
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 18:16:26 -0400
Shane F. Ingate wrote:

> Ken, I dont quite follow what you mean by "raised rear bumper".  Do
> you mean "reaised front bumper"?

I do mean "raised *rear* bumper".  Bob Lang showed this to me last
week between his car and my 74.5 (CF27535).  The rear bumper is raised
at least 3/4 inch on my car vs. his.   Basically, the rear bumper on
the early cars is mounted so that the top edge of the bumper is very
nearly flush (actually slightly below) with the bottom edge of the
"angled" portion of the rear fender (wing).  The later cars have it
mounted higher, so that that the same body ridge is below the top
edge of the bumper, rather than very slightly above it.  The difference
isn't actually in the fender mounting points, but the mounting
brackets on the bumper itself.

If this is hard to understand, this is because a picture is worth
a thousand words, but one would need a really closely zoomed in
picture (unlike the ones on the net) to see this.

> Further, Jim Barbuscia's 1974 1/2 CF29215U has the "TRIUMPH" emblem on
> a plinth mounted the underside of the rear bumper AND the "TRIUMPH"
> emblem in the upper right corner of the rear valence (see his
> beautiful car at http://www.snovalley.com/~monica/jbtr6.html).

I looked at that pic, too.  I mean no offense to Jim, but I speculate
that this is a deviation from original in the restoration of his car.
I would speculate that the bumper badge is original, and that the
rear valence badge was added at the time of the repaint.  (That's fine
with me -- when a car is restored, the restorer has the option of
restoring it "strictly factory" or restoring it how they want it.)

Jim's car looks absolutely fantastic, but I don't necessarily
believe that the restorer (PO?) strove strictly for accuracy,
since the web site photos also reveal other deviations:

  body-color windshield surround (only 1969 from factory)
  "BL" fender badge misplaced by at least 6 inches
  body-color rocker panels (instead of matte black)
  amber/white front lenses (on a 74???)

Anyway, this is symptomatic of a perpetual problem -- the
Triumph books generally feature restored cars, which may have
had changes introduced during restoration -- this is a problem
with all the Triumph books I have seen.  For this reason, if
one really wants "true accuracy" extensive research from a
large variety of sources is needed.

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers

--