Re: 76 Spit won't start

To: don@ngs.noaa.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 76 Spit won't start
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 13:12:05 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-20, Don Haw wrote:

> I received my new solenoid from Dick Berger and installed it but the car
>  still won't start.  But now I can jump it by using a coat hanger from my
hot

>  battery terminal across the solenoid.  When I try to start it by the
> ignition
>  I get "silence".  I mean I hear my electric fuel pump going but when I
turn
>  the key, everything stops.  No cranking, no fuel pump noise, nuttin.
>
>  Could it be my ignition (Piranna)?

Don:

I can assure you it is not the Piranna ignition module that is causing your
problem. My guess is that either the starter solenoid, or the starter relay
if your year Spit has one, is bad. It could also be the ignition switch.
(Assuming that you have checked all wire connections, particularly the ground
connections, and they are all good).

To test the solenoid, with the key on, jumper from the battery to the
terminal with the White/Red wire. If the solenoid is good, the starter will
crank.

If the engine starts and continues to run after you have removed the jumper,
the "run" portion of the ignition switch is good. If it doesn't, the switch
is bad, (or there is a problem with the wiring to/from the switch.

To test the relay, if you have one (I'm not sure of the year cut-off date for
the relay), jumper between the two terminals W2 (White/Orange?) and C2
(Brown), again, with the key on. If the engine does not crank, the relay is
bad. if the engine cranks, but doesn't run when you remove the jumper, the
"run" portion of the ignition switch /wiring is bad.

If the engine cranks and runs during each of these tests, but won't start
from the key, then the "start" portion of the ignition switch is bad.

I think that covers most possibilities, but there certainly could be some
others. If this doesn't do the job, let me know, and we will try something
else.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/