Re: TR3 body / frame rejoining

To: mbarre@juno.com, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 body / frame rejoining
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 09:05:39 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-20 02:57:40 EDT, mbarre@juno.com (Matt Barre)
writes:

What exciting news!  I'm all aquiver with anticipation and I don't even own
the car.

<< 1.  I haven't got my parking brake handle back from the plater yet, will
 this be a problem mounting with the body on?

No Problem .

2.  My new mounting kit from TRF only had 4 of the rubber strips where 6
 are depicted in the shop manual & Moss catalog.  I ended up cutting the
 longer ones to provide the extra pieces.  Is this the proper course?  I
 have always been happy with TRF quality but I noticed in a recent
 newsletter how proud of their kits they are with all of the instructions
 they produce and I have yet to find any instructions with any of their
 component kits.

I'm not sure a "kit" makes sense here. The kit contains an average number of
pieces required to do the job.  The number of pads actually used seemed to
vary according to the shimming and padding necessary to  fit the body to
 each individual car. It's always nice to have some spares.

 3.  Undercoating.  THis may have already been discussed but the painter
 asked if I wanted the wheelwells undercoated.  I don't think I want
 undercoating sprayed all over my freshly rehabed frame.  Were these cars
 delivered sans undercoating?

Best guess here is no undercoating routinely from the factory, but maybe
coated by individual dealers as an option. Most people stay away from it not
because of originality but because it WILL allow water to reach the metal
eventually, then trap it there to feed the tin worm.  Undercoating is
probably useful to protect the inner fenders from stone chips etc, moreso
than water protection.  Talk to the body person you are using about using an
epoxy paint on the inner wheel arches.  It's supposed to be much more chip
resistant.

Bob Paul
TS45738L "O"
TS7280L