Re: TR6 Gas Tank Help

To: STEVEN_E.JABLON@roche.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Gas Tank Help
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 08:45:35 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
STEVEN_E.JABLON@roche.com wrote:

>      Good Morning!
>
>      Thanks to all who responded to my TR6 fuel line questions.  The
>      information was extremely helpful.  In order to move one more step
>      toward restoration, I see tank removal and cleaning as a necessity.
>
>      I am therefore going to remove the gas tank and have it reconditioned
>      to erase ALL doubt.  Are there any special pointers or hints to be
>      shared in the removal of the gas tank?  I will also consult my manual
>      for direction.
>
>      Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience.
>

>      More TR6 Days to come!
>      Steven J.
>      1976 TR6
>      CF51777U
>      Morristown, New Jersey

Steve:

Recently completed that little project.  Very straightforward - but
SAFETY is the word!  Be sure all fuel vapor/fumes are eliminated first.
Best method to evacuate tank of fumes, etc. after draining is to fill
entirely with water, then drain again.  Use care when filling to not
overflow, since any remaining fuel will be floating on top and end up in
your trunk.

Other than that, it's a fairly simple procedure. For cleaning, I took
mine to a radiator shop that had an ultrasonic cleaner, in lieu of the
usual boiling it out.  The procedure worked great - cost $28.

Good luck.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)
1970 Spitfire Mk.3 (under the knife)