Re: HOT TR3 with fast idle and squealing brakes

To: Gary Oehrle <oehrle@lsil.com>
Subject: Re: HOT TR3 with fast idle and squealing brakes
From: Jim Bauder <JIMBPPS@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 22:59:50 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Gary,

IMO the idle on the older TR3s (like several of mine) has always had
some problems returning to a reasonable idle RPM.  I have tried with
some success replacing the return spring with a stronger spring.
However, the linkage wears sooner and sometimes binds more easily, due
to the greater spring tension.  It is a delicate balance.

I don't ever rememmber that the heat coming off the floor was
uncomfortable.  It does get hot, but I always felt it was the nature
of the beast, and I never felt that it was "too hot".  When I was in
Memphis, TN I drove a '57 TR3 with no carpets, just the rubber front
mats.  In the summer the floor would get hot to touch but I never got
burned.

Regarding your squealing brakes:  I assume it is the front disks that
are making noise rather than the rear drums.  If that is the case,
something is loose!  I would check the caliper bolts, the small cap
screws holding the retainer plates against the pads and also make sure
that the retainer clip actually bear against the pads themselves.  You
might try some of the comercially available disk antisqueal compounds
available from any auto parts house.  I personally have NEVER had a
TR3 disk brake squeal!!  Volvos now, that is different mattter, both
of my Volvos brakes squeal!! Perhaps, even both brakes on both
Volvos!!!

Good luck and let us know what you discover.

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3 in boxes
Palo Alto, CA